Ruling Mechanics

There are four phases in kingdom management, representing a month of time. When you establish your kingdom, you will choose a day of the month (i.e. the first of each) to resolve rolls for the phases. If you like, you can assign rolls to each player. For example, it might make sense for the Treasurer (or the PC most closely associated with him/her) to make income rolls. You may also just pass the rolls around the table. Whatever floats your collective boats.

  • Upkeep Phase
    1. Determine Kingdom Stability: Make a Stability check vs. your Command DC. Successful checks reduce unrest by 1. (If your Unrest is already at 0 and you make this check, gain 1BP in surplus!) If you fail this check by 5 or more, increase unrest by 2.
    2. Pay Consumption: Deduct your kingdom’s Consumption from the Treasury BP. If this results in a negative number, the kingdom’s unrest will increase by 2 at the end of this phase.
    3. Magic Items: Fill vacant magic items slots in cities.
    4. Unrest: If your unrest is 11 or higher, lose one hex chosen by the leaders. Any improvements (roads, etc.) are destroyed and must be rebuilt if the hex is reclaimed. Settlements lost in this fashion must be annexed to be reclaimed. A Royal Assassin decreases Unrest by 1 at the end of this phase.
  • Improvement Phase (The number of improvements you may make per month is limited by kingdom size.)
    1. Select Leadership: Assign or replace leaders.
    2. Claim Hexes: Hexes must be explored, cleared, and adjacent to an existing kingdom hex (save the first hex, of course, which can be anywhere so long as it meets the first two criteria). It costs 1BP to claim a hex. Size and Consumption increase by 1 with each hex. You may abandon hexes, but doing so increases Unrest by 1 for unsettled hexes and 4 for hexes which contain settlements.
    3. Establish and Improve Cities: Prepare land and purchase buildings. You may also destroy buildings to clear space.
    4. Build Roads: It costs 1BP to build a road through a hex (2BP in forest and 4BP in swamps or mountains). If the road crosses a river, double the cost in order to build the necessary bridge.
    5. Establish Farmland: Every country needs a breadbasket. Grasslands or hills that contain a road may be developed into farmland. It costs BP to establish farmland, 2BP for grasslands and 4BP for hills. You may not build a city on a farmland hex. Each farmland hex reduces your Consumption by 2BP.
    6. Edicts: Adjust edict levels.
  • Income Phase
    1. Deposits: Add funds to your Treasury by donating party loot. For every full 4,000gp you deposit, gain 1BP. Items that are worth more than 4,000gp cannot be deposited; they must be sold. (If you want to put Stormbringer in your treasury rather than selling it to the unwary, you may do so, but it will not increase your BP.)
    2. Withdrawals: You can also withdraw funds at a rate of 2,000gp per BP, but doing so increases Unrest by 1 automatically. In addition, you must make a Loyalty check (DC = Command DC + # of BP withdrawn). Failure increases unrest equal to BP withdrawn. In other words, keep your private funds separate from kingdoms funds.
    3. Sell Valuable Items: If you wish to use an item to bolster the kingdom coffers (rather than your personal treasure) and it is worth more than 4,000gp, you can attempt to sell it through the city markets. (This is also how to rotate random magic item stock.) Make an Economy check: DC 20 for minor items (2BP), DC 35 for moderate items (8BP), DC 50 for major items (15BP).
      • You may only make one Economy check per city district during each Income phase.
    4. Generate Income: Make and Economy check vs. your Command DC. If you’re successful, divide your result by 5 (rounding down) and increase your Treasury BP by that amount.
  • Event Phase
    • There’s a 25% chance that a random event occurs during this phase. This chance increases to 75% if there was no event in the last Event Phase. Events include natural disasters, wandering monsters, and political events. Be ready for anything!
    • If an event occurs, roll d% to determine what happens.
    • Harm from some events can be reduced by a successful kingdom attribute check vs. Command DC.
    • Some events are continuous until resolved.

Kingdom Crunch|Main Page

Ruling Mechanics

Kingmaker kitsuki kitsuki